Friday, October 16, 2015

Plants, Travel, and Writing

My soul feels so full lately. I don’t know how else to describe it. I’ve been in my most happy and healthy state. And not like I all of a sudden peaked at my happiness, but instead that it’s plateaued in a good way. The kind where you can hit the cruise control button on life and take it all in. Which is why I write this now.

I don’t even know where to begin.

Yesterday, I had my weekly hang out session with two of my girl friends. I look forward to this time every week because I believe in girl power so much. There’s a special healing and joy brought out when girls get together to encourage each other, to laugh together, to tell secrets to one another--all for friendship. I really believe in this. Anyways, one of my friends mentioned that there was a study on plants that found talking positively to plants actually helps them grow. This brought so much joy to my heart because Russ and I love our plants and they’ve been flourishing. I like to think that it’s because our home has been filled with so much love from visitors and from our marriage that our plants have responded to it by sprouting new leaves. I can’t help but think that when God said to do everything in love, even His creation responds to His will being fulfilled.

There was a recent 3 day air-sale on domestic flights this past week. I quickly asked my brother and sis-in-law to travel to Chicago with us since it was only $80 for a roundtrip ticket ($80!!). They responded so fast by requesting the days off and by the next day, my older brother was texting me “TRINN!!! BOOK THE CHICAGO TICKETS! WE GOT THE DAYS OFF!!” and I was not at home but with my friends that I got carsick rapidly texting Russell to book the tickets before the sale ended. We got the tickets and we’ll be traveling to Chicago for 5 days this December where we can freeze our Southern Californian butts off. But I am so excited. This is my first time traveling with my older brother where we’re all mature and married now.

There has been so much going on. Russ and I both come home bursting with stories and we take turns listening to each other’s days. I feel like a little kid as we rapidly talk and spill about every little thing that happened. Like when Russ got ice cream at work after their HR person took them outside and told them to scream for ice cream. And about how I drank a rose latte for the first time. And bigger things. Like about having kids. About our dreams. About how much this marriage has helped and supported us through so many events. When we first got married, I told Russ about how much I value good conversation. That we shouldn’t ask throw-away questions like “How are you?” because then you only get throw away answers. Instead we say, “Name one thing at work that brought you joy today.” or “What’s one thing that made you laugh out loud today?” And you guys, we have so many quality conversations this way that my heart just bursts. Did I mention how many new leaves our plants are spurting?

When I hung out with my girl friends this week, we were bursting with ideas and stories. These two girls are creative types (What is it with me gravitating towards all things creative lately?). They dedicate specific amount of times each week to paint, create, illustrate, etc. I’ve asked if I can bring my laptop next week to work on my story while they watercolor paint. We found one of the cutest coffee shops, and we decided to tackle our creative pursuits there next week. But while we were talking, we thought of so many amazing ideas together. So next week folks, I will be attempting to write my first screenplay with two of the most creative, funny girls I’ve met. I took just one playwright class in college that I figured, why not give it a go? There’s a high chance this will just end up in another scribble on a page but one thing I’ve learned from these girls is that it doesn’t hurt to try.

I’ve never been so encouraged. All my friends are doing amazing things. Even unemployed, full time, or part time, I have friends in all places doing great big things in everyday life that I can’t helped but feel inspired.

I’ve written a long post. But my soul is dancing and I am so loved in a home that I love. I wanted to share because how can I hoard this in?

Wishing you an inspiring and insightful weekend!
-Katrina

No comments:

Post a Comment